These delicate, melt-in-your-mouth, easy to make cookies are a holiday tradition in our family. Familiar to many cultures and countries, some know them as Russian Tea Cakes, others call them Mexican Wedding Cakes or Snowball Cookies.
Our featured recipe is based on the Mexican Wedding Cakes recipe in the beloved Joy of Cooking, currently available at our JP General shop. (Click here for printable PDF.)
Mexican Wedding Cakes
Joy of Cooking
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ½ pound unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar (to coat cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- Toast pecans until lightly browned, cool, finely chop.
- Beat on medium speed until fluffy and well blended: butter, salt, powdered sugar, vanilla.
- Gradually add pecans and flour into butter mixture.
- Roll dough into 1” balls (approx. 50 to 60 total). Space 1 ¼” apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake until cookies are tinged lightly brown (12 – 15 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let stand until cookies firm slightly.
- Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
- Roll cookies in powdered sugar until coated.
Shop our Home Goods Collection for
kitchen & serving ware