When we have an abundant harvest of kale from our raised garden beds, we use it to make this KALE PESTO which we freeze for use during the winter months. (Click here for printable PDF.)
Yield: 1 ¼ cup
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- ½ cup toasted blanched almonds
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp zest of lemon
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Rinse, dry, de-stem kale. Chop into medium-fine pieces for measuring.
- In a food processor add kale and toasted almonds, pulse for several seconds.
- Add Parmesan, garlic, zest of lemon and continue to blend while you add olive oil slowly into the mix until well-blended.
- Transfer mixture to bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper to taste.
Serve with pasta, rice or on seafood, chicken, meats.
To Freeze: Divide into smaller portions wrapped in freezer wrap or in small freezer bags. Store in freezer up to 6 months.