Heart-shaped cookies dipped in dark chocolate and colorful sprinkles - the sweetest way to show your love. (Click here for printable PDF.)
Makes 24-36 cookies approx.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate candy
- 1 tablespoon shortening (only if using chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- Beat butter and sugar together in a bowl until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well.
- Add vanilla and salt, then slowly mix in flour until combined.
- Remove dough from bowl and shape into a disc on a large piece of plastic wrap. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour minimum - or up to 1 day before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or nonstick baking mat.
- Divide dough in half. Re-wrap one half of dough and place it in fridge. Roll remaining dough into 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
- Cut out shapes from dough using cookie cutter (2.5” to 4” heart-shaped suggested) and place on baking sheet 1 1/2 inch apart.
- Re-roll dough and repeat process to fill first baking sheet.
- Place pan of cookies in fridge and chill for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookie edges are just barely turning brown.
- Cool cookies completely.
- Repeat process with remaining half of dough.
- Heat chocolate chips and shortening OR candy melts in microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie into chocolate. Place cookies on a sheet of parchment paper and quickly add sprinkles onto wet chocolate. Let set completely.
ceramics & servingware